Towards smart and collaborative innovation in the Baltic Sea Region!
About GoSmart & Excel BSR
The ‘GoSmart BSR’ project (2018-2020) with its extension ‘Gosmart & Excel BSR’ (2021) aims to identify the joint strategic fields of innovation with internationalisation potential in the Baltic Sea region and improve the access of companies to international markets. In practice, the project has created a methodology to identify the joint research and innovation priorities of various regions set in the regional Research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialisation (RIS3). Based on the method, a transnational smart specialisation strategy including joint priority fields for the Baltic Sea region is developed.
To enhance the business cooperation, the project has created a ‘Transnational Innovation Brokerage System -TIBS’ – a network of trained innovation brokers that provide personal and practical help for small and middle-sized enterprises (SMEs) to strengthen their international efforts and guide their cooperation offers.
Activities of the Baltic Institute of Finland
The Baltic Institute of Finland participates in the GoSmart & Excel project in its role as the coordinator of the EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region Policy Area Innovation. The key task of the Baltic Institute is to disseminate the outcomes of the project in the form of articles on key topics and organising events with relevant innovation policy stakeholders in the BSR as well as representatives of the EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region and other EU macro-regions.
Articles on TIBS and transnational smart specialisation:
- Bialystok University of Technology (Poland)
- Podlaska Regional Development Foundation (Poland)
- Vidzeme Planning Region (Latvia)
- Valga Town Government (Estonia)
- Public Institution Lithuanian Innovation Centre (Lithuania)
- Kouvola Innovation Ltd. (Finland)
- Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI) (Germany)
- Baltic Institute of Finland (Finland)
- RISE Research Institutes of Sweden (Sweden)
- North Denmark EU-Office (Denmark)
Duration: 1 April-31 December 2021
Financing: The project is financed by the Interreg Baltic Sea Region Programme 2014-2020.